Surge Protective Devices (SPDs) provide protection against electrical surges and spikes, including those caused directly and indirectly by lightning. They can be utilized as complete devices or as components within electrical equipment.
Photovoltaic (PV) system converts solar energy into direct current electricity. PV system ranges from small, rooftop-mounted or building-integrated systems with capacities from a few to several tens of kilowatts, to large utility-scale power stations of hundreds of megawatts. The potential impact of lightning events increases with PV system size. At locations with frequent lightning, unprotected PV systems will suffer repeated and significant damages. This results in substantial repair and replacement costs, system downtime and loss of revenue. Properly installed surge protective devices (SPDs) will minimize the potential impact of lightning events.
Sensitive electrical equipments of PV system like AC/DC Inverter, monitoring devices and PV array must be protected by surge protective devices (SPD).
To determine the proper SPD module for the PV system and its installation, you must know:
1.the lightning round flash density;
2.the system's operating temperature;
3.the system's voltage;
4.the system's short circuit current rating;
5.the level of waveform that is to be protected against (indirect or direct lightning); and the nominal discharge current.
The SPD that is provided on the dc output must have a dc MCOV equal to or greater than the maximum photovoltaic system voltage of the panel.
THOR TRS3-C40 series type 2 or Type 1+2 DC SPDs for PV solar system can be like Ucpv DC500V,600V,800V,1000V,1200V, and the max 1500v.
- Electrical Characteristics
- Typ nameTRS3-C40 500V
- SPD typeT2
- NetworkPV network 500 Vdc
- Max. PV operating voltage(Ucpv)500 Vdc
- Follow currentNone
- Nominal discharge current(In)20kA
- Max. discharge current(Imax)40kA
- Connection mode(s)L+/L-/PE
- Protection level +/PE (-/PE)(Up)≤1.8 kV
- Mechanical Characteristics
- Connection to Networkby screw terminals: 2.5-25 mm²
- FormatPlug-in modular box
- MountingDin rail 35 mm
- Operating temperature-40℃-- +70℃
- Protection ratingIP20
- Failsafe modeDisconnection SPD of the PV line
- Disconnection indicator1 mechanical indicator by pole
- Remote signalingcan be option if need
- Dimensionssee diagram